Gannett Digital and USATODAY, McLean, VA, July 2014 — Present
Developer on Interactive Applications Team
- Develop news applications and data-driven interactives for USATODAY & Gannett newsrooms as part of the Interactive Applications team.
Chronicle of Philanthropy and Chronicle of Higher Education, Washington, D.C., November 2012 — July 2014
Data Journalist on Data & Interactives Team
- Built the databases powering many of the Chronicle's interactives in SQL, including Online Fundraising, Foundations, America's Top Donors, New Grants and Endowments.
- Lead analyst for four annual projects including: Corporate Giving, Foundations, Endowments and Donor-Advised Funds.
Sunlight Foundation, Washington, D.C., September 2012 — November 2012
Influence Explorer Intern
Compiled special interest group ratings that informed voters of organizational stances on political candidates for the 2012 general election. Cleaned data on DC campaign finance for the Sunlight Foundation's Influence Explorer API. Wrote blog posts.
Fulbright Scholarship, South Africa, September 2011 — July 2012
Designed and implemented a field research project that evaluated the social practicability and water efficiency of a low-cost drip irrigation system in improving household food security in a remote and under-resourced rural area of South Africa.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, September 2007 — June 2011
B.A. in History, High Honors; minor in Environmental Studies
Thesis: Beyond the 1984 Famine in Ethiopia: Addressing Issues of Chronic Food Insecurity.
- Steven S. Rosenthal '71 Prize for the best thesis in Asian, African or Latin American History
- Eleanor Shannon '79 and David Salem Scholarship for History majors with academic promise and demonstrated financial need
- 2010 - 2011 Third Honors Group, Top 35%
- 2011 Senior Class Marshal
The Dartmouth, College Newspaper, September 2007 — June 2011
Reporter for Arts and Entertainment; Staff Writer and Senior Columnist for The Mirror
Wrote feature articles for the Arts and Entertainment section and the newspaper's weekly featurette, "The Mirror," in addition to a humorous senior advice column entitled "Frosty's Corner."